Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Healthy Life = Quality Life?

I know we jump around with topics, but rest assured, we will return to them! My mind is multiple tracks that like to switch at random. Fun insight, right?



Anyway, today's topic is does a healthy life equal a quality life? Here I imagine there is lots of disagreement, and I would agree. One could be an unhealthy person and as long as they were happy, felt fulfilled, and successful, they could very well lead a quality life. That being said, we are given one body and one life to enjoy. I for one, would like to feel the way I did when I was in middle school/high school physically. I'd like to not get out of breath climbing stairs, I want to be able to run a mile again in a reasonable time, and most of all, I'd like to get away from fast food (not entirely...it tastes good, okay?!).



Getting healthy on one's own steam is not easy though. If you are out of shape, it's hard to go it alone and get back in shape/return to a healthy/healthier lifestyle. I have found in the past couple months, but particularly the past couple weeks, that having other people working towards the same goal/a little incentive can go a long way.



Currently at work, several of us are participating in a "Healthy Directions" course that lasts several months. Each month requires us to focus on specific aspects of a healthy lifestyle. Currently we are focusing on the following:

-Practicing Gratitude (once a day at least)
-3 servings of fruits and/or vegetables a day
-3 cups of water a day
-Get a minimum of 6 hours sleep
-Stretch for 10 minutes a day
-Take a walk outside for 10 minutes a day (or in this freezing weather in our area, walking inside is okay)



It may not seem like much, and it's relatively easy. I'm sure some feel that it's too easy. But you must realize that they are trying to start off slow, not knowing people's fitness levels/capabilities. There are incentives too as we join teams (in my case the other women in the store and myself) and we are working for not only our new, healthier selves, but for the prizes too. Fitness equipment, kitchen items and then basics like water bottles. That little incentive can definitely give someone the boost they need to accomplish their goals.



The social aspect is what I find helpful though. I enjoy the camaraderie that my boss and co-workers have formed as we all work towards our better selves. We support each other, cheer each other on, and best of all, work towards a common goal. Suddenly the journey towards a healthier me is less daunting knowing there are others (and in close proximity) working towards the same goal and on the same "plan" or "activity".



As for my motivation, you can see a few above, but I'm also getting a new job come May/June and I'd like to be in shape for it as it is a fairly physical job. Even if I don't meet my "end goal" to see some progress in regards to my stamina, weight, and overall capabilities would be great!



Am I alone in this thought process? Are you able to motivate yourself to work on a healthier you without such incentives or social aspects? I'd like to know what motivates you!

Till the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment